Anode

Use this area to discuss general matters and issues relating to the Nicholson 31.
101Ragamuffin
Crew Member

Anode

Post by 101Ragamuffin »

Ragamuffin had a conventional pear-shaped anode fitted just a few inches forward from the bar in the recess by the previous owner. I don't know why. Is it any better than the original one? At the moment I have the option either to glass in the holes they drilled for the pear-shaped one or glass in the original recess. I guess what is definitely not needed is to have both next to each other.

On the prop shaft, there was no anode at all. I assume I should fit one. If someone could point me to the right way to do it / to the right type of anode that would be great. Thank you in advance!
Mitch
Crew Member

Re: Anode

Post by Mitch »

I had a pear shaped anode fitted by a previous owner - the replacement bar anodes are difficult and expensive to source and he was actually unaware that there was an access hatch cut into the bottom of the cockpit locker to access the connections etc.

I don't think shape matters, its all about connection and material - my pear shaped has worked (it showed some wear) and the world hasn't ended with respect to electrolysis. There is a debate in some places about anodes in fresh water being of different metals but I don't think its relevant and anyway Seal Morning sits in an often brackish or stratified river - you only get barnacles on the bottom of the keel!

Since I'm not racing I don't sweat about the slot but I presume it could be filled.

I have no experience of a shaft anode - I don't have one, there's no space on the shaft and the log doesn't seem to be able to accomodate one.
101Ragamuffin
Crew Member

Re: Anode

Post by 101Ragamuffin »

From Facebook

Jeff Loise
Mine has 1 on the shaft & 1 strip anode

Jeff, how is the one fitted on the shaft, please? I have the same issue as Mitch, very small gap between the hull and the prop. Or is it fitted on/with the nut?

Mitch, from an earlier post here on the forum, http://www.zincsmart.com/index.htm, R15D, £58.80. It seems to me that a pear-shaped one is ~£25. I agree with you Mitch, but even for racing, I doubt if the flush fitted bar would make any noticable difference. I will sleep on this but probably will glass in the recess and stick with the pear-shape.