Access to exhaust through hull?

Use this area to discuss general matters and issues relating to the Nicholson 31.
116Callisto
Crew Member

Access to exhaust through hull?

Post by 116Callisto »

Hello everyone, I was hoping someone could shed some light on how on earth I can access the exhaust through hull located in the stern starboard side? There is a small 12" access in the back wall of the pilot berth but all it allows is one arm and partial shoulder in far enough to just touch the area with a fingertip...never mind working or getting leverage. The fuel tank is adjacent to the elbow preventing its removal from the through hull. The nipple on the elbow has corroded through. I would love any advice as I'm stumped. Thank you!

Rich Hood
Callisto 116
40ursa_minor
Crew Member

Re: Access to exhaust through hull?

Post by 40ursa_minor »

On Ursa Minor I had to resort to an angle grinder and carefully cut the old fitting out. I then shaped the hole to take a new stainless exhaust skin fitting with a built in elbow. This required an oval shape to the hole for fitting and a backing of epoxy covered wood inside. It was difficult but I did manage to get a hand to the inside to roughen up and clean the hull before bedding the wood backing on epoxy paste. The fitting had three bolts to secure the assembly which was liberally bedded on sealant. Luckily the exhaust hose did go on with a bit of a struggle and double clipped. I am only 5ft 9in and slim but it was a struggle.
116Callisto
Crew Member

Re: Access to exhaust through hull?

Post by 116Callisto »

Thank you for sharing your experience! I did make an error in my description...its actually the cockpit footwell and not the fuel tank that impedes spinning off the elbow.