Use this area to discuss general matters and issues relating to the Nicholson 31.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
I actually replaced the Blakes head outlet seacock with a new Blakes back in 2019 while in the boatyard. It was a fairly straightforward project. I thought the removal might be difficult but the bolts unscrewed fairly easily except for the inside nut on one that I could easily cut off with a dremel tool. After that I was able to tap out the bolts, remove the old seacock and the backing block beneath it and the exterior plate then clean everything up for the installation of the new one. I used a material called Coosa Board for the backing block instead of wood or plywood. The original backing block was rotting which is what led to the project. I decided to get a new Blakes since I was going to take it apart. It is a structural composite material made of high density foam impregnated with fiberglass, it will not compress or rot. I cut & drilled the backing block at home using the new Blakes as a template. To install I also used 3M 4200 for my sealant under the outside plate, around the fasteners, between the hull & the backing block & between the backing block & the seacock. The bolts are carriage bolts and no tool is necessary on the outside as you tighten them up inside but you need a helper outside to hold things in place. It was an easy install.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest