windvanes/self steering

Tuning the rig of the Nicholson 31 and chat about sails.
postboy
Crew Member

windvanes/self steering

Postby postboy » 22 Oct 2017, 13:44

Does anyone have experience/advice on windvanes or self steering systems for single handing? I have an electric tiller pilot, but at around F4 to 5 it can't really cope. I'm thinking 'Hydrovane' at the moment...any experience and advice would be welcome.

Mitch
Crew Member

Re: windvanes/self steering

Postby Mitch » 11 Sep 2018, 15:09

I haven't any direct experience on the Nicholson, but I'm actively looking for a wind vane at the moment. I've used a Monitor on a Bristol Pilot Cutter with a huge boom and gaff main and I've also used a Wind Pilot Pacific on a slightly higher performance UFO 34. They were both exceptionally efficient when they were properly set up and the boat was balanced, but the trick was (and still is) to get the sails balanced almost perfectly before you engage the wind vane. You need an almost 'neutral' helm, with little in the way of weather helm - it can help if you practice achieving this with your electric auto helm at the moment.
You also need to be more prepared to reef your sails to balance the helm, even a good wind vane can't work effectively when the boat is overpowered.

If anyone has a spare wind vane that is looking for a good home - please let me know.

Mitch

postboy
Crew Member

Postby postboy » 11 Sep 2018, 18:51

Ok thanks

tramontane
Crew Member

Postby tramontane » 20 Nov 2018, 18:41

I installed a Monitor windvane years ago and I'm very happy with it, even works in light winds and under spinnacre up to Bft 4-5
Jens

ran
Crew Member

Boom to Tiller self steering

Postby ran » 24 Feb 2019, 16:45

Has any one tried self steering using the mainsail or Genoa to rig a self steering line to the tiller? If interested there are various methods described in YouTube. Just enter "Boom to Tiller self steering" in the search window.

101Ragamuffin
Crew Member

Postby 101Ragamuffin » 28 Jun 2019, 22:02

Hi All, I am new here and new to sailing but I ended with Ragamuffin (101) as my first boat. I was told a beginner should not have a Nic31 :-) She came with an Aries fitted. David the previous owner used it extensively and was happy with it. I just had one go at it while David was on board but planning to start to test it seriously in a month time. If anybody wants to come along to see it working, more than welcome. I will post my experience but that might be skewed by me being a beginner. We are on the Solent.