Anchor Locker Modifications

Use this area to discuss general matters and issues relating to the Nicholson 31.
dubhe
Crew Member

Anchor Locker Modifications

Postby dubhe » 01 Feb 2017, 13:11

From Robert Cornwell:

"I own Ursa Minor hull 40 and wondered if it would be possible to create a
self contained self draining anchor well as a combination of the upper and
lower wells. My aim was to stop a smelly bilge after recovering the
anchor from a nasty seabed. I have looked at other yachts and reckon it
might be possible on the Nicholson 31 to totally seal the anchor well from
the main bilge and create a modern separate unit."

Any suggestions?

40ursa_minor
Crew Member

Re: Anchor Locker Modifications

Postby 40ursa_minor » 19 Apr 2018, 19:34

I have now plugged the bottom of the anchor well and epoxied in a new floor just above the waterline, after many measurements, and drilled in weep holes just above the waterline with a clamshell fairing. I discussed this with a naval architect very familiar with the nic31 and my surveyor and both gave the thumbs up to the modification. This season will be a trial and I hope to report on a favourable result.
Ursa Minor

40ursa_minor
Crew Member

Postby 40ursa_minor » 11 Nov 2018, 21:09

I have now completed a full season with my modified anchor well and it has worked a treat. No more smelly bilges, I just throw buckets of water over the chain and windlass and watch the muck ooze out of the weep holes. I have got 54m of 8mm chain but could easily put more in. Why 54 well it was a bin end that was supposed to be about 70 but I cab back it up with 25m of warp.

blueprintbill
Crew Member

Postby blueprintbill » 20 Sep 2019, 05:06

???? I have CN31 -113 which was built with a completely sealed ( from the boat’s interior ), self draining anchor well. I could , if I wanted to, open the fitting provided by the original builder and drop chain into the well at the foot of my vberth but given the stinky mud issue never have. It’s not clear to me what your problem is ? Are earlier editions built otherwise ?