Rudder Check

Use this area to discuss general matters and issues relating to the Nicholson 31.
showa
Crew Member

Rudder Check

Postby showa » 19 Nov 2014, 12:57

Although "Showa" has been familiar to this forum by previous owners, this is my first thread and happy to be finally a registered member after 3 years owning her, such a noble vessel!!! :)
So last spring as I was giving a final check over before launch, I noticed a bit more than normal play around the rudder bottom skag pintle. Closer look revealed a crack extending from bottom edge up approx 3". Decided to remove the rudder for closer scrutiny which proved a fortunate thing. As I gently inserted a flat head screwdriver in the crack, the leading edge around the rudder hole recess completely broke away. If this happened under sail the only attachment points would have been the upper two steal gudgeon and pintles.
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but there is a lot of strain exerted against the rudder and if gone unnoticed for a period of time and in some heavier seas, I think rudder failure would have happened in some way, either cracked rudder or gudgeon and/or pintle failure.

Interested to know if this has been a problem area with the Nic31, though have not seen anything on past threads.
Also, has anyone had to replace their rudder gudgeon and pintles as they are now approaching 40 years of age and If so, where did you purchase them??

tramontane
Crew Member

rudder/gudgeon pin

Postby tramontane » 03 Dec 2014, 18:22

I replaced the old gudgeon pin about 15 years ago. A friend of mine manufactured a new one.There is now crack to be seen. Look at attached photos
Attachments
P1040986.JPG
P1040988.JPG
P1040987.JPG

tramontane
Crew Member

rudder/gudgeon pin

Postby tramontane » 03 Dec 2014, 18:29

Sorry,no crack! (not now)
Jens

showa
Crew Member

Postby showa » 03 Dec 2014, 21:37

I was mainly referring to replacement of the upper two however the lower skeg pintle as in your pics. where i had the crack around the rudder hole, I would say require attention at some point in time as you have performed, looks like a good job, looks like the pin is thicker than original. Was there a crack in the rudder originally?
Also did you replace top two gudgeon and pintles, those I can see as a problem to have manufactured if need be and doubt there is anything on the shelf anywhere. Critical components like that i prefer to perform proactive rather than reactive maintenance!!!

Thanks for the pictures

showa
Crew Member

Re: Rudder Check

Postby showa » 01 Apr 2015, 18:59

test