Fuel Tank Lid

God Bless the iron sail!
lespowell

Fuel Tank Lid

Postby lespowell » 02 Aug 2006, 13:57

Hi
Has any one got any infomation which will be of help in fuel tank lid removal, can the filler port be removed from the lid without the removal of the tank lid.

Les

Tony Irwin

Fuel tank lid

Postby Tony Irwin » 03 Aug 2006, 17:47

I do not remember as it is now three years since I cleaned out my tank; however, i strongly recommend taking the lid off, as you will be shocked by the quantity of muck and gunge coating every surface. In addition, you can make a better job of the filler with the lid off. Have a look at the 'fuel gunge' thread under the 'Engine' heading where you will see a revolting photograph of the contents of my empty tank, and start unscrewing the sixty or so bolts! You will be glad you did when it is put back together again.
Good luck,
Tony

blueprintbill
Crew Member

Second Opinion Fuel Tank Cleaning Access

Postby blueprintbill » 05 Aug 2006, 08:12

Tony Et Al,
While in Scotland the winter of 2001, 2002 Ardfern Yacht Center thoroughly cleaned out my tank by cutting out a large enough circular hole in the lid, to allow a whole arm (perhaps a long skinny one) to reach into the tank, clean it out, refit new fuel line fittings, inside to out side, and then attach a new larger diameter plate to cover the new larger hole, that had mounted on it, the old original fuel filler 'access plug'/'filler port' ( for lack of a better term). The new , additional plate is maybe 3/16" taller than the original, but the teak cockpit grate was simply routed out a bit more to accomodate this new assembly.
Questions?
Cheers,
Bill

Tony Irwin

Fuel Tank Lid

Postby Tony Irwin » 06 Oct 2006, 18:23

As part of the process of changing engines, I opened the fuel tank again, after two and a half years since I last opened it. I am delighted to say that it was almost completely clean and it only took an hour or so to drain, open, clean, close and refill. The fuel filler is screwed onto the tank lid with four machine screws, so it can be removed simply by unscrewing them. I am a little surprised that there is so little corrosion, the lid being aluminium plate and the screws being stainless steel, but pleased that there is no problem.
Tony

blueprintbill
Crew Member

Corrosion

Postby blueprintbill » 06 Oct 2006, 19:06

Tony,
Is perhaps the lack of corrosion due to the presence of diesel oil?
Bill

Restlessnic31

Postby Restlessnic31 » 07 Oct 2006, 21:12

I've got the lid to my fuel tank off at the moment and can attest to Tony's description - 4 stainless machine screws. This is the second time I've opened my fuel tank, the first was when I bought Restless 5 years ago and could not get anything to come out of the drain cock. The amount of gunk in the bottom of the tank was amazing.
Now am back inside the tank as both cocks have been leaking slightly over the years (resulting in degradation of the fiberglass in the keel) and am replacing the gaskets around both fuel cocks.
have a question...the original gasket between tank cover and cockpit sole was leather, I tried to save it the first time I opened and resealed the tank cover but it's a goner now. Any suggestions on what to use as new gasket material? The leather was pretty thick and I would like to keep the original dimensions.

Will describe the keel rapairs as they progress.

Benson

Andy Moore

Postby Andy Moore » 08 Oct 2006, 13:46

Restlessnic31 wrote:Will describe the keel rapairs as they progress.

Can you post some images, if possible?

Tony Irwin

Fuel Tank Lid

Postby Tony Irwin » 12 Oct 2006, 18:06

blueprintbill wrote:Tony,
Is perhaps the lack of corrosion due to the presence of diesel oil?
Bill

I hope not, as that would mean that the diesel was reaching the screws from the tank, proving that the gasket is not as effective as I have been fondly believing. On the other hand ,perhaps I should wash down the mast and boom with diesel once a month to prevent corrosion?
Tony