Fully battened main systems

Tuning the rig of the Nicholson 31 and chat about sails.
Mitch
Crew Member

Fully battened main systems

Postby Mitch » 02 Nov 2020, 21:37

Does anyone have experience of fitting a fully battened mainsail system onto the existing Kemp mast setup?
I've been looking at the Harken retrofit track, but if anyone else has any thoughts/experiences I'd be grateful for some information and feedback......

liberty_jane
Crew Member

Re: Fully battened main systems

Postby liberty_jane » 14 Nov 2020, 09:12

Taking the discussion in a different direction: in this "season" I've been using an unbattened mail with ggreat success!

Mitch
Crew Member

Postby Mitch » 14 Nov 2020, 11:27

Would the sail be specially cut for being unbattened? In my experience even a little roach needs support, and if you didn’t have battens it would be very difficult to maintain a good shape; I would also be concerned that the leech would be more prone to vibration and flapping.

40ursa_minor
Crew Member

Postby 40ursa_minor » 17 Jan 2021, 07:31

On my in mast reefing system the main has no battens but does have a hollow cut roach. I have found that it pays to reef the main early and then start on the genoa. This is especially true off the wind when the tiller loads up and a reef in the main soon brings back a lighter helm and no drop in speed. Going to windward I have not found the batten less main to be a problem since you can play the shape by adjusting the in haul out haul tensions. The boom tends to stay at a pre-set height on this system.